You are here: QuickTech: Forks > Dust Wiper Seal Quick Clean
Dust Wiper Seal Quick Clean and Lube
Note: Before you start, make
sure the exterior of the fork is clean and dry. The area around the
dust wiper seals also needs to be very clean.
- Wrap the end of small flat blade screwdriver with black electrical tape.
Note: Very important: this step will help prevent any scratches on upper tube if the screw driver slips
as you try to push the seal out.
- The tip of screw driver should look like this, fully
wrapped with tape.
- Cut two four-inch strips of black electrical tape.
- Place one strip of black tape above the dust wiper
seal and directly above the little seal lifter slot on the side of the
dust wiper seal. Place the other strip of tape on the opposite side
of the seal and above a seal lifter slot.
- Insert the flat blade screw driver into the seal lifter slot
and push the seal up slowing about 3 mm. Be very careful! Repeat on the opposite
side of the seal. Keep working the seal up in this manner a little at a time, until the
seal pops up.
- Push the seal up onto the black tape. Place a shop towel
under the seal. This will keep any dirt from falling into the fork during
the cleaning process.
- Pour a small amount of suspension fluid on the seal
and spin the seal clockwise slowly as you push the seal up along the tapes
edge. The edge of the two tape strips will remove debris (dirt) from under
the seal lips as you spin the seal. This procedure is a FOX Racing Shox "trick of the trade". Repeat as needed.
- Using a shop towel clean off any excess
oil and dirt. Push the dust wiper seal up past the tapes end. Remove the
two strips of tape off the upper tubes. Clean the upper tubes with soapy
- Slide the foam ring up onto the upper tube. Be careful
not to scratch upper tubes if you use the tip of the screw driver to grip
the foam ring!
- Clean the foam ring with shop towel and suspension
fluid. Repeat as necessary until the foam ring is clean.
- Apply 1/2 of a 5 cc pillow pack of Float Fluid to the foam ring.
- Push the foam ring down into the dust wiper seal gland bore.
- Slide the dust wiper seal down into the seal gland bore.
- In most cases, you should be able to push in the seal all the way by hand.
- If you cannot push the seal in all the way with
your fingers, use a 10 mm socket driver tool (or 10 mm socket with extension). Push
the seal in a little at a time, and move the socket around the edge to
several locations as you push the seal into place.
CAUTION: Do not push on the dust wiper lip and garter spring, or damage to the seal may result.
- Seal is now flush with top of upper tube seal gland
bore. You are now finished with one side.
Repeat the above steps for cleaning the dust wiper seal on the opposite side.
Copyright © 2006 - 2011
FOX Factory Inc.